Sunday, November 28, 2010

PRODUCT REVIEW - Spiffy Dog "Air Collar" - 5 BONES

When you have dogs, collars are the one accessory that you can’t ignore. Collars are important because they are the Plan B when it comes to restraint your dog when a verbal command will not work.

That being said, finding a good collar is not as easy as one might think. Sure, you can find plenty of them out there, in every Super Store and/or pet store. I know, I shopped and got burned more time than I care to remember.

I am now looking at four criteria when it’s time to buy a new collar. I want a collar that will be durable and will have soft edges, so my dogs will not be hurt and the collar won’t tear up. A collar that is cute (yeah, cute) because... well, just because I like cute things. With a swimming dog and another dog that loves to roll herself in the mud, I often have to wash and dry their collars. Which brings me to criteria three and four. A collar that will dry FAST and a collar that will NOT be SMELLY. And I will repeat these two criteria because they are so important to me. Dry fast and NOT smelly.

After a smelly expensive collar experience, I heard about the Spiffy Dog Air Collar, and I contacted the company because I wanted to know more about their products.

This is what I learned and I must be honest, I never thought you could make high-tech dog collar. The Air collar is made out of nylon aerospacer – a soft mesh that you commonly find in Nike or Adidas Running shoes, so it is quick drying, is lightweight, breathable and especially comfortable. Their collar is known as The World's Most Comfortable Dog Collar
And because I love to know more about the companies out there that are offering cool dog products, I investigated a little bit more and found out that Spiffy Dog has been around for 9 years now, and originated as an outdoor human gear company, using the same material in a log of "techy" bags as well as climbing and kayak equipment. They are based in Steamboat Springs, or Dog Town USA.

They are a small but flourishing company, and their products are especially useful for dogs in and out of the
water, as well as a perfect fit for those with hotspots or allergies because of its non-chafing technology-dog's barely notice they're wearing it.

I am sorry, but you can’t get cooler than that. Seriously.

When I asked them if I could try out their products, Spiffy Dog graciously offered me their products, so I can test them and write down my impressions.

When I received the collars I would dog-test, I was very excited. For those of you who don’t know, I have two crazy dogs that are very active. One loves water so much that he can’t resist a body of water. So he does spends summer with a wet (and smelly) collar and he spends winter outside because, for some unknown reasons, he loves snow. He eats it, digs it and whatever in between. My other dog is a crazy wild dog that we rescued. We think that it might because she lived in the street for the first 6-7 months of her life that she loves mud so much. Yes, she loves mud and is like a toddler when he sees a puddle of water. She jumps in it, rolls in it and sometimes, eats it.

So  I had the perfect testers for the Spiffy Dog collars.

Look at the style of those two super awesome collars I received :

This style is named Yellow Stars :





Back of the collar












And this one is 2010 Christmas 










So, as I said, I put these collars to the test, as you can see :
Jake and Bella playing in wet sod... and mud.


Bella falling down IN the mud

It didn’t take long before the collars were filthy. Yes, that what playing in the mud does.





I usually get upset a little bit when the dog’s collars get dirty because it means that they (not the dogs) will soon become smelly. But when you are dog-testing products, you do what you have to do. So I put the collar in the washer.

Clean Collar ! Look like it is new!
Yes, you read that right. I put the collar in the dryer. After the wash, because I wanted to test if it really would dry fast, I put it back wet on Jake. And it took less than one hour to dry. And it DIDN’T SMELL. Yes!

right now on sale for $5!
I checked their website, which you can do by clicking here,  and they do have a cool collection of collars, affordable. Another VERY important point for me, because I have two dogs (if you are asking yourself, yes, it's double the food and double the poop-patrol) and I need good products that are not expensive. Spiffy Dog also offer something really nice : customized dog collars (check here). Who knows, maybe in a near future, maybe we could have GreenDog Collar! 

Conclusion
I loved the Spiffy Dog Air Collar. They do what they say they will do and they are cool looking. Their soft edges takes away my guilt when come the time that I have to restrain them somebody comes in. I hate having a collar that might have sharp edges and hurt my dogs. Also, because my Lab and Wild Girl are pullers, I feel confident that the buckle of the collar won't break or open. Their price is very reasonable and if you really don't want to pay much, visit often their website because they have cool sales. I will recommend them to anyone who asks the Green Dog about a good collar.
 
Green Dog is giving 5 BONES to the Spiffy Dog "Air Collar"!

And not only do I like them, but my dogs liked them too!
Bella is now a Spiffy Dog (and looking for a treat)
Jake is now a Spiffy Dog

 NB : Spiffy Dog didn't pay me to do this review. I formed my opinion by trying the collars on my two dogs, Jake and Bella. And if I sound like an infomercials, it is only because I REALLY liked their product.


2 comments:

  1. Many of us shop online now, in fact internet shopping is really booming and there is very little in the way of essentials that you cannot find out there on the internet that you can have delivered to your door without ever taking your slippers off! reflective dog gear

    ReplyDelete