Friday, January 14, 2011

A Vet should be more than a doctor

Why your vet should be your SuperStar

I don't like going to the vet. Not only my dogs get excited, nervous and anxious, but the bill I get after the visit sometimes give me the nausea.

Veterinian services are expensive, let's be honest about it. If you are lucky and your dog is healthy, you are blessed because you'll see your vet once a year, for your dog's necessary shots and lyme/heart protection prescription.

Because animal medicine is a mystery for me, and the majority of us, people, I need a vet that will be ready to be more than a doctor. I need a vet that will be a SuperStar, a caregiver.

Since my last visit to the vet with Bella, last week, I've been thinking about changing vet. It is a big decision, in part because the clinic of our present vet has great business hours and also because, despite Bella hating her vet, at least she is used to him (or is she really?).


Why do I have those thoughts? To be blunt, when I left the clinic, I realized that I didn't like our vet. There is nothing wrong with the quality of his work. I just don't like his bedside manners. He makes me feel like a client, and not like my dogs are his patients. I know, I AM a client, but when I go and see him (and pay green dollars for that) and he treats me like a customer in line at the grocery store. I have the feeling he is more after my money than after what could be wrong with my dog(s).

I got to think about what I would like to see in my "ideal-dream" SuperStar Vet to be satisfied.

A) Professional - HUMAN: If I am told that my dog has X disease or that, in order to clip my dog's nail you will give her a tranquilizer, I want to know more about it. What are the side-effects? What will happen next? I also want a vet that will look me in the eye when he is talking to me, not looking at the floor with his hand on the door handle.

B) Professional - ACADEMIC: We, humans, are a funny kind. A vet (or any other professional for that matter) could be the best in the world, but without point A, I'll wrongly assume that he doesn't know what he is talking about. Of course, I know it doesn't make sense. I know that not everybody has sharp social skills, but am I asking too much?

C) Empathy: Despite the fact that my dogs might be client/patient no. 8677-8678 in a vet clinic, they are MY dogs. They are part of my pact, of my family. If they hurt, are unwell and/or in pain, I am too. It is unfortunate, but it is like that. I know that a vet time is precious and that in one day, a vet might see 10 people just like me, but I want to know and I want the vet to ask me: "Do you have a question?"

My next step is going to be to ask family and friends what they think about their vet and if they have recommendations.

Do you have any recommendations about what you are looking for for a vet?

No comments:

Post a Comment