Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dog Park Etiquette

(This article was first written for my then-blog : http://jakethechocolatelab.wordpress.com/)

When the weather is nice, we like to bring The Beast to the dog park. It is a good way to let him spend some of that pent up energy and to meet, for him new furry friends and for us, meet other dog owners that don’t mind talking about their dog without sounding as if we are obsessive about them (yeah, we are a little bit like that).


When we first start to hang out at the dog park, I realized that, even if it wasn’t written down, there is a Dog Park Etiquette. I didn’t invent it, but I sure do live by it.

And now, here is the :

Dog Park Etiquette
1. Bring your own leash/collar/dog poop bag.

2. If you bring a toy for your dog, be aware that other dogs can steal it form your dog to play with it.

3. Be careful when you open and close the door of the dog park.
Some dogs are con artists that are always on the look-out  for an escape route.

4. If you have a humper that starts to hump, YOU have to leave.
I shouldn’t have to because my Jake knows how to behave.
Oh, and don’t be proud. There is nothing be proud about.
And if you allow your dog to hump, I wonder what it says of your character.

 5. If you have a bully, please invest in dog obedience lessons and
change your own energy/state of mind.
Not only no dogs will want to be around yours, but dog owners will also stay away from you.


6. Your dog should have ALL his shots up to date. And that, is common sense.
I would be devastated if my Jake would get sick after a visit to the dog park.
And I would, no, I will, sue your sorry ass.

7. Please accept my apologies, and I accept yours, if my dogs jumps on you and licks your face
because you have a ball.
He is a Lab and have a *light* addictions to balls.

8. If you have an aggressive dog, don’t even come to the dog park.
Even if you keep your dog on leash, he will exude bad energy that will set the other dogs on edge.

9. If it is summer, bring your own water. I can’t go back home to get more water if Jake’s bottle is empty and my first priority is MY dog.

10. Have fun and be happy. Your dog will feel it and act like a happy dog.

See, it’s quite simple. The Dog Park Etiquette is not asking you for your first born and/or a pint of blood. Most of it is really common sense.

What are YOUR rules when you go to do dog park ?

No comments:

Post a Comment