Monday, February 7, 2011

Is Hoarding Dogs a Crime?

I first heard about hoarding a few years ago. I think it was on a tv show about people having disease (hoarding) and instead of collecting rocks or stamps, they were collecting pets. Some were collecting cats, other dogs or other different animals.

Although I do understand that hoarding is a disease, I personally think that it is overlooked as a crime.
That might sound harsh for many, but I think that the general population tend to be more forgiving of hoarding because it has a medical explanation.

Is hoarding taken seriously?
The problem is that nobody thinks about the animals that are taken hostage in the hoarder disease. Those animals are loved, in a way, by the boarders that can't financially support them. Just imagine the daily cost, let's start with food, for feeding let's say 15 cats. Now add the litter. Now add the medical cost. No, that's right, there are no medical costs because hoarders usually (and I accept the fact that I could be wrong) don't have the finances to afford 15 cats x 15 spay/neuter surgery x 15 yearly shots x 15 daily healthy meals.

Hoarding is a serious problem and it should be taken seriously. But, in this post, I am not siding with them. In this post, I am siding with the animals that are, in my opinion, the real victims here because nobody can speak for them.

Punishment
The punishment for hoarding should be serious and the boarder should be put in some type of probation. Again, that sounded harsh. And it is. But if we make hoarding as unattractive as possible, maybe we will be able to save animals that are not properly care for (even if they are loved).

The same applies for every other crime. If, for any other addiction, only a slap on the hand is given, how can a recovering addict can learn a lesson and not act on how/her impulsion?

In my mind, as long as somebody can care to the psychological, behavioral, nutritional, financial and physical needs of the animals, I will mind my business. But if those needs are not fulfill, I feel it is my duty to speak for the animals.

This post was entirely written from my ANDROID phone

1 comment:

  1. pet finder :- Adopting a pet from a petsuppliessuperstore.com is a very positive choice for which you always look for puppies for sale, kittens for sale and all types of dogs, cats.
    puppy finder :- Adopting a pet from a petsuppliessuperstore.com is a very positive choice for which you always look for puppies for sale, kittens for sale and all types of dogs, cats.

    ReplyDelete