Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Story of Bella or How we rescued a dog and How it made us happy

As many of you know, we have two dogs. Jake, a chocolate Lab of 2 and Bella, a … mixed breed and she will be one in December, or January.

Last July, when we rescued Bella, we were told that she was a Doberman/Weiramaner mix and that she was about 7-8 months. She had been found in the streets (where she most likely lived all of her life) and was alarmingly thin.

The rescue named her Nervous Nelly, because she was a nervous wreck. But before even having her, we wanted her to have a new name, since she was starting a new life. So, after A LOT of discussion (we have a very strong minded teenager. ) about names, something happened. At the same moment, us, known as The Parents and the Teenager, came up with a name... Bella, at the same time.

So Bella it was.

After our adopting application was accepted, we had to wait one week before picking her up, because she had to be spayed. And I have to be honest here. I shamelessly called them, the rescue, more time than I care to remember, to ask them for updates on Bella. They never lost their patience with me though. They only said that it was nice to see people caring so much for a dog that was not yet theirs.

So, one very sunny Saturday, we left Jake at home and drove to the rescue, ready to pick up the new addition to our family.

Yep. That's love!
That's trust
It wasn’t easy, to gain a stray dog trust. But with the help of Brown Lover, a.k.a. Jake, and lots of food, we were able to do it in a week or so.

We also came to realize that adopting a stray dog makes you feel so good. Today, I love my skinny girl as much as she loves me. Although, because dogs have this endless capacity of love without EVER expecting something back, I think she loves me so much more than I could.

I see a proof of this love every day. From the way she wants her head to be in my lap when she naps to the way she lets me know when it’s time to go potty. From the way she is so protective of her family to the way she runs toward me when I whistle for her. From the time she spends on her back, wishing for a scratch to the way she sneaks in bed with my daughter.

There is a difference between my dogs. Jake, whom we adopted when he was only 8 weeks, adores us. And he expects us to feed him (he will let us know, by crying, if we are late feeding him), to put him outside for his business (again, those cries). He expect me to scratch him behind his ears and to let him sleep in my lap when I watch TV. But I am not complaining. He is a brat, and he is MY brat. When I don’t feel good, he knows it before me. He is always there for me. Bella, on the other hand, doesn’t expect anything. She stays in the back, waiting. She lies down on the carpet, in front of the sliding doors, her head high and her front legs crossed. Very Nefertiti-like.

But there is something I am very curious about her. I want to know, very selfishly, what she is exactly. It won't change the way I love her, but I want to know. She obviously has some Dobbie in her. The markings on her face tell as much. Her big Minnie Mouse could also mean Weiramaner (or Doberman. What does a Doberman look like without his ears cut?).

As I am researching to know more about her, I remembered a dog Jake went to training with. Look at this picture:
I don't remember the dog's name, but he is a Louisiana dog.

And then, look at Bella:


But then, look at a Greyhound and at a Whippet (not for the face, but for the body) : 
Greyhound
Whippet





 And then, look at Bella :

I know, she is skinny. This is the day we brought her home.

 To say the least, I am confused. But what is Bella?

No comments:

Post a Comment